formerly entitled Number One, is an independent,
non-profit journal published semi-anually by Volunteeer
State Community College. Submissions of poetry and short
fiction are welcomed.
Our spring edition features
poetry and is published in April of each year, and our
fall edition is comprised of short fiction pieces and
is published in November.
- All works must be typed and double-spaced
(single-spaced for poetry is acceptable).
- Please enclose a cover letter with
author's name and address, brief bio, and a SASE.
- Works cannot be returned without a
stamped self-addressed envelope.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcomed
as long as they are indicated as such and we are notified
immediately upon acceptance elsewhere.
- Translations are welcomed if permission
has been granted.
- Please limit poetry and short fiction
submissions to four (4) per person.
- Fiction works must be 10,000 words
or less; please include an approximate word count.
- Submit your work at any time during
our reading period; if a manuscript is not timely for
one issue, it will be considered for another.
- Submissions can be sent by electronic
mail or snail mail. Send electronic submissions either
in the body of an email or as an attachment in Microsoft
word to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send snail mail submissions to
- Managing Editor, Firefly
Volunteer State Community College
1480 Nashville Pike
Gallatin, Tennessee 37066-3188
For more information about literary magazines,
consult directories such as The Writer's Market and The
International Directory of Literary Magazines and Small